Friday, April 10, 2015

Patience is a Virtue

     I took a lifeguard training session this week. Yesterday I passed all four tests: the lifeguard skills tests, the lifeguard written test, the CPR/First Aid written test, and the CPR skills test. I applied for a job as a lifeguard at the city pool for this summer. I haven't yet gotten my interview, but I am preparing for it.

The reasons I believe that I will be a good lifeguard are:

  1. I am a good babysitter: I am good with children, I adore them! I am focused and attentive. I find dangerous things on the floor before the baby puts it in her mouth, and I'm not the kind of babysitter that plays on her phone the whole time. (For goodness' sake, you're there to play with the kids, not be on your phone!) 
  2. I am responsible: I get my homework in on time, I am not late to meetings...well, that's not true, but I wouldn't ever be late if I knew how to drive myself places...(one more year, Abby, just one more year :) 
  3. I am good at enforcing rules: when I babysit and the kid is playing with a knife, I take it away. :) I do not let the children take advantage of the fact that their parents are not there, but I am not mean about it either, I play with the kids, and they like me. 
  4. I am quick to spot danger. (Same thing about the dangerous stuff on the floor that babies like to eat.) So if someone is having a hard time swimming, I can help them before they start drowning. Prevention is important.
  5. I am patient. If some random person is mad at me for telling him not to dive in shallow water, I won't yell back, this would only make things worse. I stand my ground and calmly reply that he might hurt his head if he dives there. I would explain the rules and why they are dangerous, instead of just bossing people around. If they see the reason for the danger, they will understand the reason for the rule.


     Number five reminds me of something. This is what we, as Catholics need to know. For example, when I went to the Walk For Life in San Francisco last year, there were a few protesters (as usual), but they were shouting mean things at us. What did we do? We kept on walking. Not one person yelled back. Not one. We fight for what's right. We speak life.

This reminds me of a song by TobyMac: Click here


No comments:

Post a Comment